Jan 18, 2011

Everything you ever wanted to know about Terylene

As you know I'm going through my website, having sort of a spring clean and what a good thing it's turned out to be. I'm finding lots and lots of things that needed fixing and are now fixed. I'm almost finished and it's looking really good, working better than ever and you will notice the difference.

I have discovered that I have a fair bit of  Terylene (dacron) material for sale. It's  great stuff but not many people know much about Terylene. So here is the first of my fabric care articles.  This information is taken from a wonderful old book I own called Fabrics And Clothing published in 1959 and my copy is from Nagle Girl's High School South Blacktown. It's written by Miss J M Holt.

It's extremely fantastic fabric for curtains, you can have them washed and back on the window within an hour and they are light but not too transparent. It can be used for clothing, though I probably would not wear it around my (under)arms.

18 comments:

  1. . . . also perfect for shower curtains.
    Hi, glad your re-arranging of the stock/website has been successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes of course, I didn't think of that! Thanks Lyndel

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would not wear it around your underarms--why? Is it toxic to any extent or in any way? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, not toxic, just doesn't breathe or release odours easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dacron is Dupont's polyester. They started making it 1952 or '53 on license from ICI. I used to be a Duponter and made it at Old Hickory,TN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent information re usefulness relevance and thoroughness. Much obliged, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have animal friendly fake suede tassels made out of terylene that I use for jewellery-making, I love them, great stuff! Thanks for the article!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. really helpful info on terylene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought a 2-piece suit made of terylene, any suggestions on how often it should be dry cleaned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you shouldn't need to dry clean it. read the info - its very hardwearing.

      Delete
  10. We have a pageant dress made from 100% terylene. It has two spots. How can I spot clean this dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you spot cleaning? you should be able to wash, do it by hand if you are unsure. cheers

      Delete