Aug 14, 2010

Horrockses Dress Surprise!

I've been reading with great interest Kim's series on True Up about the book:  Horrockses Fashions: Off-the-Peg Style in the ’40s and ’50s by Christine Boydell. I've wanted that book since I read a review in the Sydney Morning Herald a few months ago but I forgot the name and could not find the original article.

Kim has been giving us all glimpses of some of the lovely dresses from Horrockses and today I did actually purchase the book, from Borders (they sent me a 30% off discount code and with free shipping I thought it a deal too good to refuse).

Anyway, I just thought out of interest I'd take a look at the label in a lovely cotton dress I've had on display in my lounge room. It's covering a nude dummy. Guess what? yep, it's a Horrickses and now it all makes sense. The dress is of obvious high quality, I mean it's almost like new, the cotton is crisp and thick and still with great colour.

Here's the photo of it and below is a green one from True Up, I'm thinking it's the same pattern. It has the same gathering on each side of the hips, pockets, button up front, the same sleeve. Mine has a collar and a self belt (not in photo).
But the best part about this dress is that it fits me like a glove!

I found this dress crumpled up in the bottom of a wardrobe at an estate sale last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment